Online Registration is Now Closed!
Welcome to the Volunteer Registration Website
for the 2013 AAU Junior Olympic Games
Volunteer Dates: July 24 – August 3, 2013
PLEASE REVIEW THIS INFORMATION THOROUGHLY
The largest national multi-sport event for youth in the United States is coming back to Metro Detroit and WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The AAU Junior Olympic Games are the showcase event of the AAU Sports Program. Since its beginning in Washington, D.C. in 1967, the AAU Junior Olympic Games have been conducted in 19 states and 30 cities across the United States.
Starting July 24 and extending until August 3, 2013, more than 15,000 athletes ages 4-18 and thousands of coaches and parents will come to Metro Detroit from all over the United States to compete in 19 sports ranging from Bowling to Gymnastics. The event will bring yet another spotlight to our region and of course, we want to shine!
The Detroit Sports Commission is looking for volunteers to help in a variety of areas throughout the Games, ranging from helping at registration, to helping tally scores and work on specific sports. It will be a great way to help out at the nation’s largest youth sporting event, and also a great way to share in the joy of the athletes as they go for the gold!
As a special bonus, individuals who work at least three (3), four hour shifts will be eligible for priority scheduling to volunteer for the Sirius XM Hockeytown Winter Festival at Comerica Park in December of 2013.
Key Volunteer Information
AGE REQUIREMENT: All volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years old at time of application. (Please note that those who are not 18 years of age by December 1, 2013 will not be eligible to volunteer for the NHL Winter Classic®.)
LOCATION(S): The Games will take place at Cobo Center in Detroit and at Eastern Michigan University (EMU) in Ypsilanti.
WAIVER: All volunteers must complete and sign the official Release and Waiver of Liability upon check-in. Volunteers under 18 years of age must fill out the liability waiver for "minors" and have a parent/legal guardian sign the form before they are eligible to work.
- DEADLINE: The deadline to volunteer is Monday, July 22 at 8 a.m.
- AVAILABLE POSITIONS: Please make sure to review all available positions and to view the information associated with each area before choosing which area(s) you are interested in. Keep in mind that certain positions require some sport specific knowledge, but a variety of opportunities are available for those who do not want to work with a specific sport. Also keep in mind that some positions are indoors and some are outdoors.
- UNIFORM: All volunteers will be provided with a t-shirt. Please wear khaki/tan pants or shorts with the provided shirt and comfortable shoes for all shifts.
- REQUIRED TRAINING: Training will take place on-site. Volunteers are asked to check-in 45 minutes prior to your shift so that you are in your designated location in a timely manner.
- ASSIGNMENT: Completion of a Volunteer Application does not guarantee a volunteer assignment. No assignment in a particular role is guaranteed.
- PARKING: Complimentary parking is available at EMU. The parking details for downtown Detroit are being finalized. Stay tuned for an update.
If you should have any questions regarding this event, please contact Yolanda Michaux, Coordinator, Membership & Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 313-549-6488 (cell).
To volunteer, please click the BLUE REGISTER NOW button at the top right of this page.
Registration is currently closed.